Thursday, October 18, 2012

Shine our Light for Jesus!

Jesus redeems our hearts and souls daily. Jesus, should we allow Him, can be in everything we do , see, think and celebrate. I have only participated in this October holiday the last couple of years with a trip to the pumpkin patch and the boys dressed up for our Fall Festival at our church. Over this year God has walked me through some different view points like this post from a friend. We used to go to church and served as camp counselors together many years ago. I've been convicted to be a light by adding to the events we do this year by having a celebration as well as handing out candy. 

Do I still cringe when I go to even the grocery store seeing the caskets, skeletons, ghosts and witches? Yes, I do. I've never been a fan of being scared. I've never gone through a haunted house and I don't watch anything remotely dark for entertainment like movies, tv shows or humor. 

A large part of my discomfort stems from the events following my sister's death in July of 2004. Weep over a casket and then see if it's funny or even indifferent just 3 months later to see them in people's front yards. Have to call a minister because of a panic attack on the way to the funeral. Know that it took everything God could give you, although you logically knew that's not the person in there anymore, that you're the last one to leave the funeral home because your heart is absolutely tearing in to bits at the thought of leaving her behind in that box. It's a messy sentence for messy emotions.  It brought back her loss in a very painful way and yes, while going to meet Jesus is a celebration, the searing loss of pain, grief and hurt from a dearly loved one with a life time of memories who leaves a hole in your heart is most certainly not. 

God tells us through the story of Joseph that everything can be used for His purposes. He tells us in the bible whether we eat, drink or what ever we do, do it all for the glory of God. We are called to be a light in the darkness of this world. I don't know a darker holiday or a time in more need of the light of Christ than Halloween. Jesus will be redeeming Halloween in our home. 




Top: Christian Pumpkin cards to hand out from Knitted Symphony and CraftSayings. I'm not sure who the original source is, so I'm covering my bases with credit

Second row, left: Pumpkin carving templates from Pumpkinglow.com; Pumpkin craft from Oriental Trading Company (OTC); Candy to pass out that's also wrapped in bible verses from Family Christian Store. 

Third row center: Pumpkin costumes for the boys ( a friend found them at a consignment store for me, thanks Christine!) and Shine your light for Jesus flashlights from OTC.

 Fourth row left: Shine treat bags to carry from OTC; Pumpkin bible verses from biblestoryprintables.com; Shine bookmark craft from OTC; Front door decoration from OTC. 

Fifth row: Pumpkin Gospel book - we also have "A Pumpkin Prayer","Pumpkin Patch Parable", "P is for Pumpkin: God's Harvest Alphabet" and "My Happy Pumpkin: God's Love Shining Through Me" off Amazon; Havest seeds candy to pass out from Family Christian Store, Activities at our nearby Pumpkin Patch; Shine cupcake toppers from Guildcraft

Bottom Row: Shine banner from OTC

I've been pinning all the pumpkin finds on Pinterest. It's a collection of Pumpkin Gospel visuals, crafts, books, party ideas, recipes, educational tie ins and bible lessons.  I also found a tie in with candy corn and the Trinity. Maybe for next year.....


 We are Shining our Light for Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment